Annual Key Club Scholarship
Graduation from high school is a milestone in life. It reflects growth into adulthood, a celebration of academic accomplishment and the anticipation of greater independence as well as the responsibilities of post-secondary studies.
Sadly, the pandemic shutdown has shattered the celebrations for the 2020 graduating class. As a result, the Kiwanis Club of Casa Loma Scholarships have a greater relevance than ever this year. We provide recognition for students with an outstanding record of volunteerism and leadership. We reduce the financial uncertainties that students face in assuming the significant expenses of post-secondary studies.
Our scholarships are for graduating high school students who are enrolling in a university or college program. Each student must have a financial need, have an average of at least 70%, and have demonstrated volunteerism and leadership in their school and community.
We present a scholarship to a student at a high school where a club member is on the faculty – Club member Suzana Greenaway is Principal at Thistletown Collegiate.
We also award a $2,000 John C. Bird Music Scholarship each year to a talented student enrolling in post secondary music studies. This award is jointly funded by the Bird family, in memory of John – a Club Past-President, who was a leader in the music industry in Canada and world-wide.
In 2020, we have two special $1,500 scholarships. Firstly, we honour Shirley Sue, who is retiring from Harbord Collegiate after 17 years as the outstanding Key Club faculty leader. Secondly, the Nick Di Donato scholarship for a graduating student in Hospitality studies honours Nick – a great friend of the Kiwanis Club of Casa Loma and one of North America’s leading hospitality entrepreneurs.
With the cancellation of the annual Scholarship Luncheon at Casa Loma due to the pandemic, we’ll miss:
- Being able to personally congratulate each of our scholarship winners
- Thank the Key Club faculty advisors and school principals and Kiwanis advisors. A special thank you to the KCCL Key Club advisors –Tashi Lhamo, Nishtha Shrestha, and Kathi Silke
- Meet the proud parents and friends of the scholarship winners
- Our annual welcome to the Bird Family
- Enjoying music performances by Ephriam Hildebrand and our great friend, Ursula Ivonoffski
- Gene Meyer taking photographs for enduring memories
- Most of all, we’ll miss the opportunity for our Club members to meet and see first-hand the importance of our continuing service to the community
We hope to invite the 2020 Scholarship winners to next year’s Scholarship Luncheon!
Are you ready to help create communities that let all children thrive, prosper and grow? It’s pretty easy to do! Apply to be a member of the Kiwanis Club of Casa Loma.